[chbot] Robotics meeting 18 Jan 2016, notes

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 18 09:43:04 GMT 2016

Despite being a wet and windy night:

22 people attended, including some younger members. Henry brought a
friend along.

$25 cash collected, which has been deposited into the BR05 account.
Loose change is in the collection box for next meeting.

Car park was very close to capacity.

=======

Corey gave a show-and-tell about the CHIP processor board - this is
advertised as a $9 machine which runs Debian. Briefly, the machine has a
1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and 4GB FLASH. Also USB, video, WiFi and
Bluetooth. Funded by kickstarter, it isn't often that a project with a
US$50k pledge target lands up with over US$2M in the piggy bank.

Ivo made an interesting presentation about his Arduino powered/PWM
controlled electric cooktop. Quite a feat of engineering, as well as a
well documented set of photos with commentary.

Andrew gave a demo of his T1 transistor computer which appears to be
making good progress. Masses of LEDs indicating internal state (at
transistor level) of a string of counters clocked from an external
source. Most interesting, and dazzling demonstration.

I am sorry if I missed other talks, I arrived late due to prior commitments.

It was great to be part of this wonderfully lively meeting.

Mark Atherton