[chbot] Discrete servos

Geoff sdfgeoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:48:17 GMT 2016

Several things:

1) Smart servos have very good/smooth motion control:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/smart-servo-motors.html
I've used the DS101, and know some guys who used some dynamixels for
holding a several kg camera on a robot arm.
2) Some hobby servos do have a lot of torque, but you'll pay for it:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jr-ds8911-high-torque-digital-servo-with-metal-gears-and-heatsink-25-0kg-0-19sec-69g.html
3) On an agricultural robot <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ8BJNaI8bA>,
we needed to steer some wheels in contact with the ground. We used some
windscreen wiper motors, a feedback pot and these drivers:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/30a-5-30v-single-brushed-dc-motor-driver.html

One thing to consider is heat. If you're not at zero load when holding
position, things will get hot. One final year project used some smart
servo's at ~30% of their rated torque only to find that after holding a
camera for more than a few minutes they would enter thermal shutdown.

Specs about speed/precision etc would be good.

Geoff