[chbot] Knob shafts / extensions and insulation

Mark Beckett m.beckett at amuri.net
Wed Aug 31 06:44:11 BST 2016

If the mains and the other parts are seperated, then it is permissable
... however.
While the physical mains and the rest can be seperated, how about the
electrical side.

ie if you have a mains transformer/rectifier/regulator in one side, and
pass the DC component thru, then it's fine.
If you are doing some mains sensing and there is a risk of part of the
other side becoming live if someone swaps the phase and neutral, then NO.

Plastic extension or a plastic knob will work, but the issue is whether
these have any sort of voltage rating.
I know there used to be some used for tuning/adjustments on high voltage
transmitters, etc, but these don't exactly fit an encoder.

In most cases the shaft of the encoder is not physically touching the
contacts, so in theory your first layer of insulation is there.
The plastic knob/extension becomes the second layer.

Don't forget the big Danger 230v do not open while live, no user
servicable parts etc ...  for those that can't read.

For your other project, I'd avoid any sort of physical contact.
I've seen the use of a Hall effect switch used to retain the
waterproofing, so maybe this could solve the problem.

Mark