[chbot] Knob shafts / extensions and insulation

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 30 12:28:13 BST 2016

I'm planning to put a mains voltage circuit into a suitable box with
clear lid. One knob will have to come out through the lid. I'd like a
rotary encoder with push switch - unfortunately, push switch and plastic
shaft seem to be mutually exclusive. I can't find plastic shaft
extensions either.

Is it permissable to stick a metal shaft out through the lid, assuming
the mains voltage side is appropriately insulated and tied down?

Suppose in another project a capacitive power supply is sufficent, and
Arduino runs on mains potential. Does anyone know a clever trick to
use a metal shaft encoder here (without surgical replacement and 3D
printed parts)?

Thanks,