[chbot] Robotics club Internet, and spare PCs at BR05 radio club

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Sep 11 00:33:46 BST 2015

Volker,

Four HP 8000 Elite, dual core, 3GHz (?) machines with Win7, 160GB HD,
and 4G DDR3 RAM were delivered to BR05 last night, along with 22"
monitors and keyboards.

Need to find a suitable 2nd NIC card, these are low profile, so not
run-of-the-mill. Will have a dig around at MM.

Happy to donate a couple of 8 port 10/100 QOS switches, and some DIR-300
APs. The 300s support 802.11b/g, with WEP, WPA, WPA2, and WPA/WPA2, so
hopefully adequate. Attaching the DIR-300 WAN port in bridge mode to the
2nd NIC card may be all we need to do to get our private AP running.
This AP should go into storage when not being used by us.

We still need to get a couple more Ethernet ports at BR05 connected to
the switch, also a suitable physical bench setup so we don't have to
keep moving stuff around.

Finally, we need a combination padlock(?) for our new cupboard space.

Next Robotics meeting is 21st Sept 2015, so I only have one more Tuesday
evening to get some of this stuff done, which is going to be very tight.
Maybe we should plan to have the setup together by the following
Robotics Meeting, which is 19 Oct 2015.

Nearly forgot, we should try and connect the PC to the projector...

Does your preferred OS need to be installed from scratch every time, or
could you bring along a disk image and suitable disk image software in
the hope we could load a per-installed disk image system on one of these
machines ?

-mark