[chbot] Robotics club Internet, and spare PCs at BR05 radio club

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Sep 9 06:53:49 BST 2015

Hi All,

Had a brief meeting with Ian and Rory at BR05 radio club (our new home)
on Tuesday.

Briefly, we have been allocated a couple of reasonably large vertical
wooden storage units (possibly large enough to fit one of me in each.
You joke about my size, you die :) Need shelves and padlocks each. Not
sure what we can use them for yet. Suggestions welcome.

Also just procured from our friends at Molten Media 4 x dual core
machines, 22" LCDs, keyboards etc. These are mainly for the kids at
BR05, but should be available to us on meeting nights.

I am planning to have Acronis disk images available for Win7 and Ubuntu,
so machines may be restored easily from a bootable CD and USB stick, so
we can experiment as we like using a fresh hard drive restore.

None of the hard drive content on any of these four machines is intended
to last more than one evening, so backing up personal work is important,
and the responsibility of the user. If you get a virus from any of the
machines, that is also your lookout.

These OSs and tools are only being used because of availability, and
personal experience with them.

Also, wired internet, a suitable Ethernet switch, and possibly our own
wireless Access Point (only for Robotics use, put in storage when not in
use). There will be minimal fire-walling to the outside world.

Volker has shown some interest in setting up an Android-snoop-machine,
so this is one possible use for a PC. Any other applications ? Any other
hardware required ?

Briefly talked about a large server and lots of virtual machines. This
may be possible at a later date, but one step at a time.

Regards,

Mark