[chbot] Traffic lights and bluetooth

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Sep 7 04:36:55 BST 2015

On Thu 03 Sep 2015 14:47:46 NZST +1200, Michael Field wrote:

> I worry about the opposite. Soon it might be considered 'odd
> behaviour' to go out without an electronic tag of some sort on you,
> enough to viewed as 'abnormal' behavior.  I can just hear In court
> "... but your cellphone was switched off at the time between X and
> Y. Is that not the behavior of somebody who was worried that you
> might able to be tracked?".

This happened to a couple of Western journalists in Turkey. They had
encrypted their laptop. Only people with religion for brains do that.
--> Free accommodation by the Turkish government.
After lots of international pressure the journos were let go 4 days ago,
their translator is still bunkered up.

Ok so this is Turkey so what do you expect. I don't see this kind of
reasoning being admissible in NZ any time soon.

Re traffic data: From next year or so you won't buy a new car in Europe
any more that does not track your every move. All car manufacturers and
heaps of US Corporations are fighting hard for your track data so they
can all sell it for the best money to those who don't know how to use
it, for the purpose of shoving ever more effluent into your face. Wait
for new innovative business models screwing you even more. Legally of
course.

On Thu 03 Sep 2015 20:17:14 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:

> As for tracking Mark and noticing he stopped at McD three times this week,
> so let's jack up his life insurance premiums... I doubt that's happening.

I understand a number of countries are trialling exactly this kind of
thing right now, and health insurances are hard at work getting the
respective information from the smartieverse. This is to offer the
healthy customers a discount (have another tui everyone!).

On Thu 03 Sep 2015 21:14:35 NZST +1200, Mark Atherton wrote:

> I guess I have a more cynical view about protecting long term
> privacy than you.

It is not possible to be too cynical about this.

> All I pointed out was one example where aggregation of tiny amounts
> of data could lead to some larger conclusion - that's all. And the
> more amounts of tiny data we allow to leak, the larger the picture
> that can be drawn.

Too true. It's all in the aggregation. Ask the marketing mafia. Whenever
I point out privacy invading data collection at the meetings people
laugh or don't care. Everyone is quite happy to send their power
consumption to the power companies every few minutes... (just one of a
gazillion things for aggregation).