[chbot] network laser colour duplex printer sale

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Nov 27 05:44:31 GMT 2015

On Fri 27 Nov 2015 13:23:58 NZDT +1300, Mark Atherton wrote:

> After lots of research, bought an HL-3150 network laser colour
> duplex printer for NZ$100 from globalPC (after rebate). Cash-back
> was approved 2 hrs after going through the Brother cash back page,
> and emailing required documents. Unit appear to be quite well built,
> heavy, and have mostly very good reviews.

Once upon a time, the place I worked at bought a Brother HL-5340DN(or
similar) black laser network duplex. It was very good. Because of this
experience, a similar colouor model was purchased. It was a TOTAL PIECE
OF SHITE. The different colours didn't print in the same place,
producing visible colour shifts and blurred output. Colour toner coverage
was uneven, producing lighter-coloured vertical bands. It was unusable.
After the Brother techy came for the second time he admitted it was a
pretty bad piece of printing technology. It collected dust henceforth.

I wouldn't buy another Brother colour laser until I was satisfied these
issues have been completely addressed. Did you check this carefully yet,
Mark? Printed some A4 photos?

Another thing to be aware of is that cheap Brother printers have a high
chance of only shipping with 'doze drivers. Whether Linux drivers are
available is another question, as is whether Brother's Linux support
consists of their closed-source PITA drivers which are a time waster to
install and may or may not work properly. To use brscript (Brother's
postscript) there won't be driver problems and it'll just work on the PC
side, but it requires a memory upgrade in the printer or more complex
duplex pages won't print (or only single-sided). With more memory
however a HL-5350DN works flawlessly with zero configuration.

> low cost toner ($150 for a full set of
> cartridges, with 2500 page life, from trademe).

(Which seller?)
Does anyone have experience with cheap replacement laser cartridges?
A set is $570 from PTech (free 3y onsite wty included... holy banana,
cheaper to buy a new printer!)

My experience with replacement Epson ink cartridges is abysmal:
different colours, clogs all the time -> complete waste of time and
money.