[chbot] Wifi Controlled Power Sockets / Internet of Things

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu May 21 22:14:04 BST 2015

On Thu 21 May 2015 18:12:24 NZST +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

> Yes I don't know why every home control software has to 'connect to
> the cloud' to make it work from outside your LAN.

I can see two big reasons:

1) It has to work for granny etc, who doesn't know how to configure
inbound access (or what a router is in the first place), so it's easier
to move the action to an area you have complete control over and don't
have to answer granny's questions or deal with the user's LAN network
problems.

2) Once you have all the user data under your control, you are free to
satisfy your business model, investors, grow the business and leverage
marketroidal effluent to maximum effect by milking all your users, most
of which never see any privacy problems or couldn't give a hoot anyway
with their lazy bums.

Consequently all the "cool exciting" home bla bla things are just
expensive paperweights as far as I am concerned. There's no way past DIY
if you want it done properly.