[chbot] BGA reballing etc.

Yani Dubin yani.dubin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:20:17 GMT 2015

Hi,

Mark B - I meant to tell you that Mark A gave me your Pieco paste press at
the meeting last month. I just got my flux last week, and finally had a
tidy enough table to give it a go tonight. It has been more than 5 years
years since I was an HW engineer and last used a flux/paste gun - but this
did seem good from my first go. Yes, I had issues with it not stopping the
flow immediately after backing off the lever, but this is solvable by
ratcheting back the rod (much as I had to do when using a paste gun).
Thanks for the lend :) (hope that was okay!)

Mark A - no photos yet because I am just practicing (and practicing on Tait
IP at that). I've collected some old dead portable radios with enough life
in them to beep and/or flash when powered up - so perfect as a yes/no
indicator as to whether I've got the hang of the process (and not
completely killing things). So I plan to get a bit of practice
removing/cleaning/reballing these FPGA BGA packages before I graduate to
actual laptop GPUs.

I would have thought a plain and simple 16x16 0.6mm footprint wouldn't be
too big an ask, which is what this model of Altera FPGA uses. And I see you
bought it for the 16x16 0.8mm one and they didn't have that either. It is
amazing how many weird and wonderful stencils they managed to include in
that pack, and yet managed to fail to include anything so straight forward
(and likely also very common?). I will have to try with a much larger
stencil, which is 32x32 in size but with a ring of blanking and a 16x16
square pattern inside. Clamping it will be the issue of course. Perhaps I
will get fed up and cut/file it down to size :)

Regards,
Yani.