[chbot] ESP8266 - the book, by Neil Kolban

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 02:45:32 BST 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0570 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Tue 11 Aug 2015 10:47:57 NZST +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
>
>> I'm increasingly using cheap micros for "is there a chip that does xxxx"
>>
>> There are now a wide range of Coretex M0 devices under $2 loaded up
>> with various peripherals.
>
> Yes, I've been thinking that too. There is the firmware programming
> time, but it's more flexible. Power consumption probably does not
> compare favourably to a dedicated bit of hardware.
>
> What's your favourite model?

I don't have a favourite model. It depends on what I need. For
example, does it need CAN? Does it need multiple serial ports?...

Where this really pays off is when you're using an application
processor running Linux. Even with real time patches, Linux is poor at
meeting really demanding realtime processing. All that can be done in
a little micro.