[chbot] [OT} over the horizon radar, the woodpecker

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Sat Aug 1 00:15:03 BST 2015

> mainly of interest to the older, northern hemisphere radio ham.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbi6eoh63ZQ
>
> So that is what made the infernal noise...
>
> -mark

How well I remember that infernal noise - it used to wipe out the 10m band!
With a Canadian Marconi No52 set (
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi_ca_c52.html ) and an RF26 unit (
http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/restoration/restoredequip/r1355/rf-unit-no-27-150dpi-455p.jpg
) frontend and a 180foot long wire antenna I could hear quite a lot when
it wasn't running.

In fact in 1968 I got a contact on 27MHz radio control band (as it was in
the UK) to a CB operator in his car as he drove through Central Virginia.
He was running 5W, I was running 25W from a 5763 (
http://www.r-type.org/pics/aam0048.jpg ) choke modulated by a 6BW6 (
http://www.r-type.org/pics/aaa0343.jpg ) into a dipole.

Any idea what the Woodpecker transmit power was?

--
Robin Gilks