[chbot] Front panels (Re: 'Printing' an enclosure)

Wes Edwards edwardsw at steadfast.co.nz
Mon Sep 22 01:35:52 BST 2014

On my last project I also went low-tech.  I used a standard zippy-style
plastic box from Jaycar, cut holes in the lid using drill and files after
sticking on a paper template, then I applied an overlay over the lid.

The overlay was a piece of normal paper printed on a laser printer with the
design including a colour bitmap, then the LCD panel area was cut out of the
paper with a knife. I then laminated the paper, cut out a hole for the
encoder shaft and stuck the overlay to the lid with double-sided tape.  This
hid my slightly less than perfect lid cut-out for the LCD panel, and the LCD
is visible and protected from moisture behind the transparent laminated
plastic.  A circle printed on the overlay shows where a button is located
behind a hole in the lid and there is enough flex in the overlay to allow
the button to be activated.  Ended up looking pretty good, but still waiting
to see how well it stands up to wear in the button area.  If needed it's
cheap and easy to make another overlay.  As a bonus the overlay covers up
the screws attaching the lid but they are still accessible by lifting up the
corners.

For higher-volume projects it's possible to get a tougher overlay printed on
a transparent plastic self-adhesive sheet.

Wes