[chbot] 'Printing' an enclosure

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Wed Sep 17 04:36:06 BST 2014

    Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    >> Top-posting.
    >>> What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:00:20 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
>
>> Greetings
> all
>>
>> I'm looking to update the window opener/min-max thermometer on
> my tunnel
>> house and rather than using an AVR Butterfly as at present,
> I thought a
>> standard Arduino with a 16x2 lcd shield with buttons would
> be a good place
>> to start.
>>
>> Knowing there are several members of
> the group with 3D printers, perhaps
>> they could advise me on material
> costs to knock up something like the
>> following:
>>
>> There seems to be
> several designs on thingyverse for a box, but I was
>> wondering how easy
> (or otherwise) it would be to print a top for a
>> standard Jaycar/Sicom
> box to allow mounting of the display but keep the
>> bulk of the
> enclosure in cheap(ish) ABS injection moulded form. Perhaps as
>> a flush
> mounting on top of the existing box such that a slight mismatch in
>>
> size doesn't matter (i.e. more an escutcheon rather than a complete
>>
> panel).
>>
>> Cheers
>

> Robin
>
> Why go so large.
>
> One of the arduino mini/nano and I2C LCD
> display will be much smaller.
>
> For the display mounting we cut an
> oversized piece of clear acrylic, and fitted countersunk screws (ie
> between the acrylic and enclosure.
>
> This got silicone onto the
> enclosure, and provided a watertight seal, that was extremely hard to
> pull off or poke in.
>
> This eliminates the 3D printed enclosure, but
> does require some neat cutting and filing of the opening.....
>
> Mark

Tricky having to find my glasses to read the smaller text - and getting
the push buttons through the front as well!

The relays to drive the window motors will still require a certain amount
of space, as will the connectors for the temperature sensors...

--
Robin Gilks