[chbot] Heard about the FTDI caper?

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Tue Oct 28 06:36:51 GMT 2014

> You can also un brick them on Linux.
>
> http://www.minipwner.com/index.php/unbrickftdi000
>

> I also think this is despicable behaviour and will be actively ensuring
> I don’t by any products with FTDI chips on them, real or otherwise.
>
> The Chinese ch340 USB to serial that was recently being heckled is
> looking better and better.

I've use the ch341 in a USB to 1-wire converter and it just works!! The
Linux driver only supports the USB to serial, it doesn't do the parallel
printer, i2c or spi interfaces but it seems to be pretty bullet proof and
doesn't suffer the problems of the ftdi chip that implements an internal
delay on its buffering of data - not very clever when trying to use it in
a comms environment with timeouts etc being used ;)

--
Robin Gilks