[chbot] Heard about the FTDI caper?

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 26 21:01:08 GMT 2014

Yes. Was in the tech press a few days ago.
http://www.heise.de/hardware-hacks/meldung/FTDI-Proaktive-Fake-Chip-Abwehr-2430780.html

Here's a quick rundown
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/windows-update-drivers-bricking-usb-serial-chips-beloved-of-hardware-hackers/
that finishes with saying "in cooperation with microsoft, ftdi pulled
the drivers", which I read as M$ told them where to go or else.

I think FTDI is correct in trying to ensure its driver only works with
their chips. We probably all have the same opinion about counterfeit
chips, with clones it's a little different but only as long as they were
marked as clones, which they almost certainly weren't. The Chinese are
good at that. Make some bucks with the electronics bonanza, the rest is
not their problem (can't say I blame them too much either, but I'm not
buying mains voltage parts from them).

It is not OK to deliberately damage other people's equipment though,
that's sabotage, and that's what FTDI has been doing. Doesn't affect me
though because my driver does not come from FTDI. I only have a problem
if I am silly enough to plug my arduinos into someone's M$ box, and then
I get to fiddle with FTDI's M$-only program to repair the damage. Easier
to stay clear of M$ boxes in the first place... sorry Mark, your loss. ;-)