[chbot] {Off topic} HRV is it worth it?

Spencer Travers spencer.travers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 08:06:13 BST 2014

Hi Mike,

In 2010 we purchased our house. It is a 1950s weatherboard clad house with
wooden single glazed windows and a tile roof.The previous owners had
installed an HRV in 2008.

My thoughts in no particular order:

   - Since moving in our dehumidifier has sat unused in the garage.
   - We do not get condensation on winter mornings in the bedrooms.
   - HRV sales people are very pushy when it comes to replacing the filter
   ($215 approx installed every 2 years).
   - I bought a filter from Filtercorp and installed it myself ($80).
   - By the time you need a replacement filter your warranty will have
   expired anyway, so the argument that 3rd party filters will void the
   warranty is pointless.
   - We have the 'LED' control panel which is a very basic temperature
   controlled switch as you describe.
   - I have decoded the serial comms between the controller and the motor
   unit. I presented this to the electronics group some time ago.
   - I feel the system is overpriced for what it is: a fan in a box with
   some ducting.
   - The temperature sensor is in the hallway so we do have an issue with
   it overheating and over cooling the bedrooms due to the lag in changing the
   temperature in the hallway.
   - We had EECA subsidised roof and underfloor insulation installed and
   this made a big difference to comfort levels in the house.
   - The fan and motor appear to be of good quality. The system is six
   years old and is very quiet.
   - The community energy forum posts seem to agree with my experience.
   - If our house had not come with the HRV, I am not sure that I would buy
   one. But then I don't know what the house was like before it was installed.
   - You are welcome to come and see our system.

Spencer