[chbot] Mailing list operation was: Test message.

hamster hamster at snap.net.nz
Wed Nov 19 00:20:01 GMT 2014

Once again, I am far more pragmatic. I can't enforce my will on
others to do what they do or don't want to do, no matter how well
reasoned or logical my argument may be. I have to accept that once in a
while somebody might want to test that they can still receive email from
the list. I can ask them not to do so, but it isn't worth fighting to
the death (of either them or the quality of the emails in the list).

am however in control of things my own little universe. Here is my
resolution to the problem of test emails:

1. I consider if the amount
of drivel I end up wasting time reading is enough to make me blacklist
any of the senders as them being a person I just don't want to hear from
again, as they never add anything of value without it being wrapped up
in a ton of crap.

2. I consider adding a rule that if the Subject is
"Test" or contains the phrase "Mailing list operation was: Test message"
then send the message to my junk email folder, with the bonus that it
will work over all my email lists.

In this case I chose the later.
Problem solved for me. I can move on. May I suggest everybody else who
takes offence at test messages does too?

Mike

PS. Can we all be sure
not to change the subject line for this conversation? It might break my
mail filter and I might end up wasting time reading emails I don't want
to receive :-)

18 Nov 2014 07:42:45 NZDT +1300, Richard Jones wrote:

>> Are you
arguing against test driven development?

> Mailing list membership is
not development.
> "Test-driven" implies probing unknown territory,
doing it for areas you
> can just read up in the manual leaves the
approach looking not so smart.

>> Or re-observing that hindsight is
an exact science?

> No. It is knowledge accumulated in 20+ years of
active mailing list
> membership, and I'm happy to share. I'm a bit
annoyed it has got lost,
> it is the age of SMS (attention span limit:
160 characters) and
> Faceplant(TM) (just click-me, no knowledge
required, and the advertising
> and surveillance industries love the
ignorant).