[chbot] Proposal, RASPOG - (Robotics Android SPin Off Group)

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 20 02:21:01 BST 2014

Richard mentioned the idea of a spin-off group last night, so some
consideration about what it might be could be in order.

My interest is control-of-things using a local app, along with
bluetooth or WiFi as the conduit.

I have an interest in root access to the OS, and have no compunction
about loading a hacked version (with root access enabled) as long as
it might be possible to restore the original version.

I do not have a very high level of paranoia about having to use tools
and images 'from a known good source' as long as there are things to
be learned along the way.

As well as the THL series of multi-core phones at around the the
NZ$200 mark, there are also a slew of much lower cost devices
available - this should make the cost-of-entry to this kind of
exploration less than prohibitive.

It is important to me that the positive, openness and friendlyness of
the current meetings are maintained - I have heard horror stories
about the appalling lack of social skills demonstrated by a peer group.

Possible topics:
- history of Android
- security issues
- dev tools
- ... add your contribution here

So this is my vote for a monthly meeting on the subject.

Better names for the group warmly welcomed.

-mark