[chbot] Long distance data link, advice from the guru's please

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sun May 11 08:46:34 BST 2014

To be fair, presumably these people are only practicing good backup
practices with their once-in-a-lifetime pictures, aren't they?

We did backups fine before this inter-wots-its-name came along.

Meteor burst comms is a cool idea in some ways, and is used a lot in the
higher latitudes, but I doubt you're going to pump Gbytes per week through
it.

Back in the 1980s the South African military was using meteor burst for
long distance messaging because South Africa was under sanctions and could
not get satellite links. Thinking back though, the level of performance was
very good, so maybe they were just using a black-market satellite link and
the meteor burst was just a cover.... someone knows the truth, not me
though.