[chbot] Ripoff or clever item description?

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:35:19 GMT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0570 at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> On Fri 28 Mar 2014 11:03:33 NZDT +1300, Mark Beckett wrote:
>
> > I seem to recall that we had a discussion some time back about
> > purchasing 'other' hardware and then using Saleae software.
>
> Yes we did, but I don't think many people spoke up.

Using other kit with Salea's software is straight-out theft, as I said last
time - and Volker said this time - if you really need to save money that
much then go shoplifting.

The supermarkets build shop lifting into their corporate budgeting so at
least you won't be hurting them. Salea is a one-man-band.

If you really think the other kit is better, then how about contacting the
Salea guy and asking to pay just for the software?

#disclaimer: If you are stupid enough to shop lift and get caught then
please don't expect me to help you out.

> > I purchased directly from Saleae and it was $149USD plus postage.
> > From memory it was here in a few days.
>
> I bought the 16bit version from Saleae some while back (not sure Hadley
> had it back then). It was borderline around the free import limit. I
> bought the larger one because it has far bigger buffers and I wasn't
> sure how much real-time Linux-USB is.

I have the 8-bitter. I have never had problems with it losing data under
Linux. I have never used it with any other OS. It is the best debug-dollars
I ever spent.

However, it is a good idea to use it directly connected vs through a hub.

> Saleae is the only supplier with
> a multi-platform[1] design so the choice was very straightforward esp
> when considering that they also seem to have the highest user opinions.

I would be happy if they were single platform... so long as its Linux.