[chbot] RE Why galvanic isolation is important

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Mon Jun 30 08:56:42 BST 2014

> PS Killing oneself with 240v is actually quite difficult.
>
> Cheers Wallace

I'll second that...

My first 2 years after leaving school was as a radio & TV repair tech. I
expected (and got) 3/4 shocks per day due to the 'interesting' positioning
of the mains switch which was just where you put your hand to pull the amp
out of a radiogram.

Sometime we'd remember to switch off/unplug the unit before attempting
repair but having powered it up to test it before disassembly, it was
quicker to try and remove it 'carefully'. Keep in mind this was before the
days of earth (neutral fault) leakage detectors - the supply was limited
to 100 amps (record spindle in place of a fuse).

As you no doubt notice by my sending this email, I'm still here!!

Now the 600V DC on some of the valve amps and the boost HT of up to 1000V
on a TV PL509 line output stage was something to be much more careful of!!

--
Robin Gilks