[chbot] OT: Low profile RCB

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:56:02 BST 2014

We've bashed this one to death.... but...

I generally agree that devices should be designed with near as
possible zero leakage. However, many devices that are zero leakage
when off can still leak at  high voltage.

>From the perspective of physics, a radiant heater is really no
different than the heater in a valve (vacuum toob for Americans). If
the heater element is close enough to the ground to create a
sufficient e field then electrons will be excited and will flow
through the air to to ground. ie. Leakage.

The difference though is that valve heaters (and the whole valve) are
designed to leak and radiant heaters should not be. Even with a high
kW heater I would expect it should be possible to design the unit to
keep well below 30mA (eg. keeping a reasonable space between the
earthing and the element, selection of insulation materials,...). But
that's just a hunch... I have not done the numbers.

Part of the problem probably comes from trying to retro-fit regs to
existing households and installations. There is always compromise to
allow someone to keep their 15 year old washing machines and other
appliances that leak - both water and electricity.