[chbot] Why galvanic isolation is important

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 10:26:30 BST 2014

Risk management today as it applies to electrical appliance and many
other kinds of equipment is overall more rational and systematic than it
has ever been in the past. Regulations have moved away from being
technology-centred and prescriptive to being more process and
framework-based and deliberately leaving technology choices open, while
putting more responsibility for due process within defined frameworks on
equipment manufacturers. We really have come a long way in this regard.

Regarding the matches, kitchen knives, blenders and electricity in our
houses - they do not present a useful comparison to mail delivery UAVs
at all when it comes to risk management. The key difference is that your
kitchen knife is in your kitchen where it poses absolutely no risk to
people outside your household (and, sorry to say it like that, the
general public care relatively little about how much you are cutting
your own fingers off while dicing onions - as long as the
benefit-to-risk ratio stacks up for yourself, feel free to use your
knife in your kitchen as much as you please). But someone's mail
delivery UAV is travelling through everyone's sky and could potentially
make a hard landing on anyone's head - and this is why we are rightly
concerned, and why this kind of business needs to be regulated in a
slightly different way than the use of kitchen knives (notwithstanding
that surely there are rules for the safe use of knives just as well, and
I am sure professional chefs will know them all).

And yes, ultimately we will all end up dead. But as long as we have some
sort of social contract that includes trying to live together peacefully
and doing what we can to minimise accidents and injuries, managing
safety risks is simply part of the deal. This has become ever so much
more obvious again since Pike River... and the legal changes following
on from that are just coming through now. There is some good work being
done now - it only is a shame that we are doing all this too late to
help the miners who lost their lives... Check it out: it's not only
rules and regulations either. There actually is some very hands-on and
useful guidance in the "Information & guidance" section under
http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe

Kind regards,

Helmut.