[chbot] Large 3D printing

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 22:20:40 GMT 2014

On Monday 20 January 2014 19:46:30 Nathan Kennedy wrote:
> Interesting concept. I'm just wondering how well it would perform in a 6.3
> / 7.1?

As is normal with these sorts of press releases, they over hype the potential
and downplay the issues.

As it is now, it can only "print" the non-load-bearing walls. You need vastly
different concrete (+steel etc) to make something that would stand up to a
wind, let alone an earthquake.

While it is an interesting idea, it will have to progress a lot more before it
can compete with existing technologies such as tilt-slab (which does not need
any fancy machinery).