[chbot] IBM Blade server, and Linux

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 19:45:11 GMT 2014

On Thursday 09 January 2014 14:08:21 Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Thu 09 Jan 2014 12:45:58 NZDT +1300, Mark Atherton wrote:
> > Why don't you want it disposed of at Molten Media ?
>
> I don't consider a gigantic power waste when more computing power can be
> had for much less power and a small amount of new equipment and eco-win.

It isn't all about eco-xxx or we'd all just limit our lives to living in mud
huts, walking around barefoot and eating three lentils a day. We'd certainly
be denying ourselves robotics, electronics and other shiny distractions.
Human curiosity surely has some value above eco-self-flagellation.

Anyone firing up this server is surely doing for a bit of nostalgia and isn't
going to run it for too long. I suspect that the bigger eco-disaster is going
to be all the rotted dinosaur bones that need to be dug up to fuel driving to
collect the machine.

This kit is going to end up in the waste chain somewhere. I would think that
putting it through a handler that can deal with electronics (eg. MM)  is
preferable to throwing it in the tip.