[chbot] Repairing a 2.25mm shaft

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Tue Feb 25 02:46:40 GMT 2014

Greetings all

Its time I repaired my 'scope that had a knob snapped off during the Sept
quake. Its a 2.25mm diameter brass shaft, about 120mm long with the
knurled end for the knob to push onto integrated on the end of it which is
6mm diameter. The break is flush with the change in diameter.

Silver solder may hold it, brazing certainly would but both have the risk
of melting the parts I have, hence the solution outlined below which
avoids trying to make a whole new piece which may not be viable.

Drill into the shaft, maybe 10mm deep, with a .7 or .8mm drill, same with
the remains of the knurled end, and put a short piece of piano wire in (as
a dowel or splint) and then soft solder it up.

Question is, does anyone in the group have the gear and/or skills to do this?

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks