[chbot] Open street map on adroid

Stephen Irons stephen.irons at clear.net.nz
Mon Feb 17 01:13:19 GMT 2014

I observe a few issues with Osmand. I don't know if it is because of a
failure of the underlying OSM data or Osmand itself. In no particular order:

   - When looking at the Waimakariri River, from zoom levels '5km' to
   '1km', the river extends over the roads and houses quite far inland. It
   looks as though the coastline from the small-scale maps (world map) is also
   overlayed on the large-scale maps. Once zoomed in far enough, the river
   recedes back to its normal course.
   - The local routing is not particularly good. On two occasions, it has
   suggested a complicated route on minor roads because it saves a few hundred
   metres, at the expense of duration (multiple stop signs across busy roads)
   or confusion.
   - On one occasion, the route has taken me past the destination to the
   T-junction at the end of the road, done a U-turn, then back to the
   destination. This might be a defect in the OSM data, though the destination
   was on the LHS of the road during the first pass, so why the RHS was better
   is anyone's guess.
   - On another occasion, the route took me past a turn-off on Memorial
   Avenue to a U-turn further along, then back to the turn off. This was
   almost certainly a missing connection between one lane of the dual carriage
   way and the side road.
   - I find the UI to be quirky (to say the least). But I am used to it now.

Stephen Irons

Apologies for the stuff below ----v

--

------------------------------
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
opening any attachments.