[chbot] CNC and HC11 crash

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Feb 3 00:30:31 GMT 2014

Hi Wallace,

 From what you said it sounds like your setup is now much more
sensitive to electrical disturbances than it was a few years ago.

Given that the CPU is an HC11, that dates the system to about
1995-ish vintage, so the power supply is possibly linear, and the
electrolytic capacitors have had a good chance to dry out. Maybe a
good start would be to replace all electro caps with brand new, fresh
off the shelf parts (not new, old stock).

What type of welder do you have ? Charles mentioned large inductive
loads, back EMF etc. and that was certainly true back-in-the-day, but
newer TIG and MIG welders are usually based on Switched mode
technology, and some even have power factor correction. How old is
the welder, how heavy is it (Iron, or SMPSU ?)

Migration of atoms. Yup, certainly possible with the sub 23nm(?)
geometries, but HC11 technologies are an order (or two) of magnitude
larger, and more resilient. My experience is that if it works, then
it's OK - certainly with SSI and MSI parts (good old HC, and TTL parts).

Carefully placed ferrites (usually only in the signal lead, not
ground return) may help.

Try and suppress problems at the source, and see if you can find a
small noise source that makes things lock up -- I used to have a
mains electric razor without suppression caps, great for tracking
down noise paths into products.

And the electro caps, as I said, might be a good start.

-mark