[chbot] 6809 Processors

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 19:54:31 GMT 2014

Welders and compressors are a **huge** inductive load that cause all sorts
of phase shift etc. They can also cause huge ground currents etc. The noise
can be induced in many ways.

Fitting ferrites has to be done right, with a full understanding of what
noise you are trying to nobble otherwise you can actually make things
**worse**.

For example, if you are trying to kill a common mode signal (which these
often are), then all the conductors for the cable should run through the
same ferrite. Putting them through individual ferrites does not help, and
can make it worse.

If it is differential noise, then a common-mode ferrite does nothing
useful, but can make it worse.

Although parts can get more static sensitive with age, I doubt that is what
is happening here. More likely the increase is due to either observation
bias or other environment changes.

I'm guessing that to make everything worse this is a 2 layer board.

Try an isolating power supply. See if that helps.

Good luck. you will probably need it.