[chbot] Opto isolated triacs - Digikey account anyone?

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Dec 27 23:21:47 GMT 2014

R,

Might be worth a bit more effort to understand the failure mechanism
before going much further.

Do you have an accurate schematic of exactly how they are wired,
including return paths. Also the trigger mechanism.

I seem to remember that you were using four-quadrant TRIACS and were
using a (continuous) DC current to fire the device in two of it's quadrants (?)

This will be fine, provided that the sensitivity of the chosen
quadrants are identical.

If not, you might get (say) 170 degrees of conduction in one
quadrant, and 150 degrees in the other - which will give the
appearance of a DC component.

There is also the uncertainty introduced by the nature if the
inductive loads...

Can you put a 1 ohm resistor inline with one leg of one of the
solenoids and look at the current waveform - that may answer your question.

Also, what is the TRIAC part number ?

Finally, if there is a significant load current inbalance, it may be
possible to resolve it by just cranking up drive current.

Interesting issue.

-mark