[chbot] Laser Cutting

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:18:52 GMT 2014

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

[...]
> You say if inkscape uses 90dpi and illustrator uses 72dpi, illustrator
> to inkscape would give you 80% (72/90) - illustrator puts in 72 points
> to get a full length, but for inkscape 72 points is only 80% there.
> Inkscape to illustrator would be 125% (90/72).
>
> In my case this would mean that inkscape created the DXF at 72dpi,
> whereas the laser cutter imported it at 90dpi. Worth checking up on,
> if there is a dpi setting in DXF.

[...]

Hmmmm, a part of the problem might be that neither Inkscape nor
Illustrator are actually meant to be used as CAD/CAM software... they
are both primarily there to create content that can then be presented
on some kind of visualisation hardware, for the human eye to enjoy. As
all of these technologies are rendering in terms of pixels, a DPI
value makes sense.

For CAD/CAM applications, however, what matters most is that design
units are correctly translated into real-object dimensions. While this
equally involves the same arithmetic of scaling, the respective
software products and file formats have actually originated in their
respective distinct domains. And for that reason, file formats
belonging to the visual presentation domain often can be specified
with a DPI value, while CAD/CAM files often cannot.

In this specific case, where DXF is used, I believe there may not be a
way of including a DPI value in the DXF file. But it is quite possible
that Inkscape scales the output on DXF export, based on the DPI
setting of the original Inkscape document. For this, and other
reasons, I would not want to use Inkscape for CAD/CAM applications but
would always go with a product actually made for that purpose, e.g.,
Qcad or Librecad. These products feel and operate much more like CAD
software and are therefore much easier to use for designing parts that
need to be manufactured, too.

Just some further thoughts... oh, and if you are keen, this is the DXF
spec: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/acad_dxf0.pdf (not sure
whether it is the latest version, but in any case it does show the
metric/imperial measurements distinction).

Kind regards,

Helmut.