[chbot] Laser Cutting

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Dec 11 00:59:22 GMT 2014

On Thu 11 Dec 2014 09:03:50 NZDT +1300, Andrew Errington wrote:

> Netcraft confirms it:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21128943/units-vs-real-world
>
> Someone says it was introduced in revision 12 of the spec.  This could mean
> that the DXF generator was old and didn't specify units, or the DXF
> interpreter was old and didn't use the unit specifier.

I have inkscape 0.48.4, which is only one version back.
The dxf file produced only has

   $MEASUREMENT
   70
       1
    0

which means "drawing units - metric".
There is no string "unit" anywhere in the file.

I still think it's up the wrong tree. Imperialism would give an error of
factor 25.4 or 2.54, not 0.8 or 1/0.8 as observed.

Converting the DXF used with the laser cutter back to SVG with
uniconverter (not a capable program) gives dimensions as expected.