[chbot] Laser Cutting

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 09:37:40 GMT 2014

On 10/12/14 19:57, Keith Colson wrote:
> Hi Volker
>
> I think the reason you had to change your scale is your DXF file was
> output in inches. This requires an enlargement of 25.4% which matches
> your number well. I get a lot of people sending me files like that for
> cutting.
[...]

 From what I remember of Volker's post, he set his dimensions to mm.
BUT... was that not in Inkscape? Inkscape may store this setting
correctly in SVG (which is what is uses natively), but it may not export
the setting to DXF. I have seen some applications saving DXF unit-less
(how well is setting units of length actually standardised in DXF in the
first place?), even if the application and drawing preferences were set
to metric in the application. Now if the machine reading the file takes
it as inches instead of mm, everything would have to divided by 25.4, as
1 inch = 25.4 mm. But where would a conversion between metric and
imperial units or vice-versa require "an enlargement of 25.4%"?

Kind regards,

Helmut.