[chbot] Software and system safety / Therac25 (Re: Drone Delivery Service)

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:31:34 BST 2013

Hello Helmut

I for one would find such a talk/discussion very interesting.

Although there have been some great strides in software safety, where I have
looked into things I see quite a bit of "baffle them with BS".

You might have heard of the Navy Procurement Office version of Archimedes'
Principle: "The ship doesn't float until the paperwork weighs more than the
ship." It would seem that some software practices sometimes fall in this
category.

It is rather telling that some modern projects generated with all the
procedures still have had spectacular failures.

The Patriot Missile bug in 1991. Killed 28 and injured about 100 people.
Unlike the Therac bug (which required a user to input keystrokes in a certain
pattern) the Patriot bug **always** manifests if the system runs for more
than about 24 hours. The Patriot bug was far more obvious than the Therac25
bug, yet somehow the procedures and paperwork didn't catch it.

It is telling that this bug killed far more people than Therac25 yet people
get far less upset about it. Perhaps people became a lot more used to, and
less fearful of, software bugs in the interum.

Ariane 5 is another spectacular product of complex procedures and products, as
well as using Ada (which many people regard as a magic formula for safety).
Indeed, it was Ada that caused the Ariane crash.

Regards

Charles