[chbot] Drone Delivery Service

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:57:20 BST 2013

It is unfortunately not a matter of what you or I want or think is
reasonable. It is a matter of what a lawyer can contort into a case.

Many products performing useful tasks can never be completely safe to
everyone. A safe kitchen knife, box of matches, chainsaw or electricity
supply would be useless. Thank goodness these and many other products
reached society before the lawyers got so greedy. The legal system is out
there trying to find cases to try and can turn pretty much anything new
into a legal mess.

An extreme case of that is Therac25 which had a software bug during the
first 2 years of operation. This caused 6 known cases of overdose which
caused 3 deaths. Of course nobody writes about the thousands on lives that
the machines saved during that time because that is not newsworthy. Did the
company get lauded for saving thousands of lives? No, they got taken to the
cleaners for the three deaths.

Some people would argue that the Therac25 should have been better tested.
Maybe. But it is worth considering that the machines were saving dozens of
lives a day and delaying the release would have caused more deaths.
Applying the "common good" principle, any delays in the release should be
avoided.

It is never a simple decision to make.

The same goes for, say, traction control technology. This might save
thousands of lives a year, but those don't make the news. One lock-up that
can be blamed for a death or injury will end up in court.