[chbot] web site problem

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Nov 26 05:29:03 GMT 2013

On Tue 26 Nov 2013 09:28:29 NZDT +1300, Hanno Sander wrote:

> How about redirecting the "kiwibots.org" domain to a new page on facebook?

As soon as anyone requires me to use faceplant I'm going to be offline as
far as that is concerned.

While it may be possible to put stuff there that does not require a
signup to view it seems to be difficult to do so - most stuff I come
across does, and of course comments, contributions and photo upload are
out of the question. I'm short before adding iptables rules to the
OUTPUT queue to sort out those plonkers anyway. As someone else posted,
"blocked by local policy".

Offloading the maintenance of a CMS to a hosting provider looks like a
good idea to me, unless someone is really versed in this kind of thing.
Unfortunately hosting from domains4less stills costs $140 a year IIRC.

Perhaps a wiki would be better suited. It looks easier to maintain to
me. trac is fairly easy to set up, though may be a bit too basic in the
user login handling out of the box. Everyone knows how to use mediawiki,
there should be installation packages available for it.

In any case, looks is way down on my list, anything that isn't a pain to
use and works gets my thumbs up. All the CMS and wiki default designs
should be OK.