[chbot] Cheap Xilinx/Altera/Lattice FPGA programmer with Saleae logic analyser functionality (5 in 1 unit).

Yani Dubin yani.dubin at gmail.com
Sun May 26 07:41:17 BST 2013

Hi all,

For anyone who is interested, I mentioned on Monday that the Salae logic
analyser could be obtained for cheap as part of a Chinese
multi-function-all-in-one knockoff-wonder-device which can also JTAG
Altera, Xilinx and Lattice FPGAs.

Yes, it is called the USB Blater [sic] on the label.

So I thought I'd provide some more details in case there is any interest.
The unit I purchased was http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/109829720.html,
which you can see from the pictures has a Lattice FPGA under the hood (no,
I've not tried to repurpose it). While I paid 40 USD last July, the
cheapest I can find it currently 45 USD with free shipping. However there
is much confusion about whether it is a 3-in-1 or a 5-in-1, half the
adverts are contradictory. They all cut and paste from each other, and I
have doubts if even they know what they are selling. I suspect they are all
actually the 5-in-1, but it might be worth trying to check with the vendor,
or paying more for one which explicitly says 5-in-1 (cheapest looks like
$56 USD).

Previously I'd used mine to program Xilinx (a Virtex 2) and Altera (A
cyclone 3 in a Tait radio) FPGAs, and from my limited use of them they work
just fine.

But when Spencer showed us on Monday how cool the he Saleae logic tool is
(esp protocol decoders), I decided to see if I could get that working too
(as I currently lack a scope).

Under ArchLinux, I installed saleae-logic from the AUR, plugged in the
device, hit the key button a few times (more on this in a moment) until
lsusb showed the right device ID, and then I fired up the tool and
triggered a capture. So had it up and running in 5 minutes, and it seems to
work just fine.

So the way it provides multi function operation is via a manual "key" tact
switch to switch modes - you need to poke a pen/screwdriver into a hole to
reach it. On entering a mode, it reregisters the USB device under the
relevant vendor/device ID so that the associated driver detects it as what
it presents itself as.

Hitting the key sequence a few times, and running lsusb, I see a sequence
of:
ID 09fb:6001 Altera Blaster
ID 03fd:0008 Xilinx, Inc.
ID 0925:3881 Lakeview Research Saleae Logic
ID 1134:8001
ID 08a9:0014 CWAV Inc. USBee AX-Pro

Presumably the one which is missing is the Lattice programmer, as I do not
have their tools/driver installed (although 1134 does not appear to be a
registered vendor ID). The last one is an alternate logic analyser (USBee
Ax Suite) - but not something which interests me so much as I believe it is
Windows only.

Unless I also yank the power after each cycling of the function, I get a
few weird transients (reporting nonsensical device IDs), so about what
you'd expect from such a device - but a hard reset sorts it out. Having
said that, I've used it predominantly as a Xilinx programmer, and done a
good 50+ programming cycles and it hasn't missed a beat.

So I believe this is already cheaper than a Saleae analyser, and it also
programs all 3 major FPGA brands. So I'm happy I went for this unit than a
cheaper (~10 USD) Altera only knockoff. If you find yourself paying money
for one of these tools, but envisage a use for the others, and like cheap
knockoffs, then I'd recommend considering this as something which will
serve multiple purposes.

If anyone wants to try it out next meeting, I can bring it along.

Cheers,
Yani.