[chbot] LiPo batteries

Jonathan Wilson jon at bootstrap.co.nz
Fri May 17 00:53:11 BST 2013

Hi Volker,

I have used LiPo batteries extensively with model aircraft. They do present
a danger but as Mark said our main issues are with multicell LiPo batteries
(both parallel and series). With multi cell batteries the cells can get out
of balance over time. Most modern chargers have a charge balancer but even
with this you tend to get one cell going "soft" before another. While I
charge the batteries at home I do charge them in a metal box in the garage
and don't leave them charging when I'm not home. I have also had LiPo
battery pack up in mid flight (bulging out the side of the aircraft!) and
have seen videos of aircraft catching fire.

All that said this is for mult cell high current discharge. Would imagine
they would be safer for single cell low discharge. Also if you were to
conservative with max charge voltage they tend to last a longer (but hold a
bit less charge).

Because of my experiences I would be a bit cautious (as in would not do it)
with unattended continuous charge LiPos but others may have experience with
this.

Cheers

Jonathan

On 16 May 2013 23:17, Volker Kuhlmann <list0570 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> How safe is it really to have LiPo batteries around the house?
>
> I was thinking of using some of the 1-cell hobbyking offerings as backup
> for some microcontrollers. Then I read the reports of what these
> batteries do to people, like burning the house down, but I don't fancy
> having the chemical smoke of one of them's guts in the house either.
>
> What would people consider to be safe handling precautions in terms of
> charger, charge location and storage? What about charging them
> in-circuit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.

> Meetings 3rd Monday each month at Tait Radio Communications, 175 Roydvale
> Ave, 6.30pm

Jonathan Wilson