[chbot] Robotic Sweepers

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 11:11:42 BST 2013

On 25/06/13 19:36, Richard Jones wrote:
> I noticed that Bunnings have a Robot Sweeper listed in their last
> catalogue for $99. They seem to be out of stock in the Tower Junction
> store at the moment. Anyone have views on this style of cleaner? Looks
> more of a gimick than practical use to me, but it is a lot cheaper
> than a Roomba and at first glance does the same job. Also not as quick
> at clearing cans from the table as Lego Mindstorms for those with long
> memories :-)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eWeI59_Qpk
>
> Richard
[...]

Views? Yes, I have some general views on robotic vacuum cleaners for
residential environments, and also some specific questions regarding the
model shown in the video. Just some quick background: about a decade
ago, I was a commercial cleaner for a few months, and in that role I
spent ample time vacuuming (for the American readers: hoovering, or for
the brand-aware: luxing) vast expanses of carpet, polished rock, lino
and other surfaces. Now the beautiful thing about this kind of job is
that it doesn't require much thinking, and so you have your mind
available to contemplate and consider whatever you want. And obviously
the natural thing for an old telecommunications and embedded systems
engineer to think about is how to improve the job he is just doing by
adding a little bit of innovative technology, and that obviously means
thinking about self-cleaning windows, catalytically cleaning ovens,
cleaning robots and the likes.

So, at that time I didn't know much about cleaning robots, but I thought
it would be great to have one to do all this mindless and under-paid
work. I had a few quick ideas on how to develop suitable robots, but
being marketing-minded I also went and did a bit of a market survey. I
found at the time that there were several companies offering cleaning
robots, some for residential use, some for commercial applications. The
differences between the available machines were as great as the
differences in requirements between the two: the robots for residential
applications looked very much like show-off toys for people with too
much money, who already have the Audi and the Porsche and the Boat etc.
and need yet another gimmick to stand out among their equally
possessions-saturated friends (oh, and if you have any doubt regarding
the practical usefulness of these machines - Oprah actually gave one
Roomba to each of the participants of one of her shows back then, and
there were lots of "Ohs" and "Ahs" from the audience). The machines for
commercial applications on the other hand were not only much bigger, but
they clearly looked like they had been designed with one objective in
mind: to get the job done, to do it well, and to do it fast.

So far, so good - now let's look at some general technical questions
that I would like to raise, and you can probably answer them yourselves:

* A good vacuum cleaner (just a traditional one, like this model used
commonly by commercial cleaners:
https://www.nilfisk.com/en/products/Pages/product.aspx?fid=14963&Name=GD%201005%20220-240V%20EU
- and, declaration of conflict of interest: I've got absolutely no
stakes in Nilfisk, but I have used some of their products, and they were
good and reliable for what I needed! ) has a rated power of somewhere
above 1 kW, and according to the spec for this example it will suck with
270 W at the end of the tube. Now this is some serious power, and it is
actually needed when your kids have been playing dress-up party, and all
the hair from the wigs has gone into the carpet... But with these small
robotic home vacuum cleaners like the Dirt Devil and others, where is
that power going to come from? Well, it isn't... Soooo... the suction
power of these things is probably quite limited, and that will limit
their ability to clean the more interesting areas.

* A good professional cleaner (a human, that is) actually sees what is
dirty and what is clean, and they will quickly complete the less dirty
areas, and treat the badly dirty ones (where the kids have trampled over
the carpet with their muddy wellies, thus densely compressing the
liquefied soil into the depths of the carpet) as long and intensely as
necessary to get them clean. But how does a robot know what's clean and
what's not? Well, I have a list of ideas of how a robot could know this,
and I think several of them are quite feasible, but I doubt that many of
them are implemented in these cheap home vaccuming robots. Soooo.... the
robot may manage to get everywhere eventually, but does that mean
everything will be clean?

* With a good vacuum cleaner (see above again for example) I can
continuously vacuum moderately dirty carpets for several hours before I
need to replace or empty the dust bag. Now that bag actually takes up
quite a big volume inside the vacuum cleaner, certainly a multiple of
the dust compartments of any of these home vacuuming robots. So even if
they had the suction power to properly clean the floor, how often would
you have to pick them up to empty the dust compartment? And it is not
that manufacturers wouldn't have seen this issue: the Kärcher
Robocleaner (
http://www.karcher.com/int/Products/Home__Garden/Vacuums/Robocleaner/12691010.htm
) for example works with a base station, to which the mobile robot
automatically returns when it either needs to recharge its battery or
feels the need to empty the dust into the 2-litre dust compartment of
the base station (that's about the size of the dust bag of a "normal"
vacuum cleaner, well, the Nilfisk example above actually has even more
than twice that much). So they have positively addressed some of the
questions and concerns. If you are considering other models /
manufacturers, check how they are addressing these issues...

And now a couple of points more specifically regarding the Dirt Devil:

* It's all very nice to see how clean it sweeps the already very clean
looking tiled floor. BUT, how does it perform on high-friction
moderately heavy carpet?
Oh... I've just looked it up and found that it's not meant to be used on
carpet at all: it is officially called a "Hard Floor Vacuum" - well that
means for me personally it's not even worthwhile looking at any further,
because I am wiping and mopping hard floor, which produces much better
results than any dry vacuum can. So no carpets with this one...

* If you are still interested, I would recommend reading the customer
reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-RoomMate-Robotic-Vacuum/product-reviews/B005I5OTTA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I haven't read them in much detail but the overall stats do look a bit
sad to say the least. Look here for a fairly detailed review of the
Kärcher Robocleaner
http://www.robotreviews.com/reviews/k%C3%A4rcher-robocleaner-rc3000-review

Well, I could go on, but this is probably enough to give you an idea of
the kind of points to look at (not meaning to be exhaustive in any way,
but rather only providing some examples), and to show that a
conceptually simple thing like cleaning floors actually is mildly
complex when you look at the practical reality of environments to be
cleaned and the respective requirements for machines that are supposed
to do a good job.

Kind regards,

Helmut.