[chbot] ESM-1000 schematic, bootloader and serial port

Spencer Travers spencer.travers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 09:49:14 BST 2013

At the meeting on Monday night I was able to unlock four out of five
displays. The one that didn't work seemed to have a hardware fault -
drawing 1 Amp at 12 Volts and a rapidly heating up microcontroller weren't
a good sign. Lesson learned: don't rework the board without first checking
it is working!

The bootloader I programmed on is kavr
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kavr/ set
at 9600 bps 8N1. I added a short beep on the display's buzzer just before
jumping to the program code. Until you load some code on to the device it
will keep entering the bootloader and will beep every few seconds.

Until I write this up properly, the files are here:
http://hexperiments.com/wp-content/uploads/misc/ESM-1000/

There's a picture of the PCB showing the vias that have the serial port
signals on them.

arc.zip contains some test code that cycles a test pattern on the LCD.
There are a few other hex files you can program to the device to test the
bootloader.
arc.hex: Display test
high_tone.hex / low_tone.hex: buzzer tests

Spencer