[chbot] Triac snubber

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 21 08:22:06 GMT 2013

This is quite an interesting discussion.

I think the starting point is to consider the load that the TRIAC is
driving - a SMPSU which is usually a full wave bridge rectifier
driving a 47uF 400V cap - or thereabouts.

With the secondary of the SMPSU driving a moderate load, the primary
47uF cap will never approach being fully discharged during any point
of the 10ms (20ms) power cycle.

It is therefore reasonable that there will only be current peaks into
the 47uF cap when the mains approaches a crest. During the other
time, the input bridge is reverse biased...

So how about reverse leakage current of the input bridge holding the
TRIAC on - you mentioned that this takes about a day to become a
nuisance, I am guessing that this is a self heating  effect (?).

So how about a small resistive load across the input to the SMPSU -
maybe 2W at 230VAC - maybe 22k / 5W wire-wound just to see if this
affects the behaviour.

Anyway, just my 2c.

-mark