[chbot] Triac snubber

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 20:03:42 GMT 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:54:10 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0570 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> On Mon 21 Jan 2013 08:42:15 NZDT +1300, Jasper Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> >What are the part numbers of the bits involved ?
>>  Currently BTA-12 driven from moc??? opto isolated triac driver,
>> with a standard snubber such as:
>> http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/img/snub.gif
>>
>>  Need some way to avoid self triggering.
>
> It appears to be essential to also know the characteristics of the load.
> You can only design safely for the triac/load combination.
  Hmm maybe a snubber is not what I need, as this is for switch off.
No trouble switching off, but trouble keeping the thing from turning
itself on.
  Have seen suggestions of parallel PTC's to keep the leaked voltage low,
but seemed horribly wasteful to me.
I guess the problem being the ~30VAC in the off state must be higher than
the holding voltage for the smps.