[chbot] Sundays balloon-adventure, report please

André Geldenhuis andre.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 10:18:55 GMT 2013

> If you have the room/weight then we've got these GPS modules that I'd love
> to see tested on a balloon;
>
> http://nicegear.co.nz/gps/**ultimate-gps-module-66-**
> channel-w10-hz-updates/<http://nicegear.co.nz/gps/ultimate-gps-module-66-channel-w10-hz-updates/>
>
> Adafruit have apparently tested them to 27km.
>
> There's a simple 5V breakout too depending on what batteries you're
> running;
>
> http://nicegear.co.nz/gps/ultimate-gps-breakout-66-channel-w10-hz-updates/

Hi Hadly

Yeah I'm sure they would work.  Our payload carried venus GPS units from
sparkfun.  They definitely work above 60k feet.  The balloon radio
telemetry used that so we have fixes above 60k.  I'm particularly fond of
the venus units as I asked a bunch of outrageous performace requriements to
the manufacturer and they got really detailed replies back to me the same
day :P

Andre