[chbot] OT ping pong balls at mach 1.2

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 09:27:11 GMT 2013

On 02/12/2013 08:21 PM, Mark Atherton wrote:
> Kerry just found this :
>
> http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-build-a-supersonic-ping-pong-gun/26082/pictures#3
>

> or is this Off Topic ?
>
> -Mark

> Meetings 3rd Monday each month at Tait Radio Communications, 175
> Roydvale Ave, 6.30pm

Did I calculate it right that the kinetic energy is 218 J at the muzzle
(at the standard mass of 2.7 g for the ball)? Pretty impressive...
however, due to its low ballistic coefficient, the ball would slow down
rapidly. I wonder, though, whether a reduced-speed version of this would
make a nice commercial product - after all, there is quite a range of
table tennis robots available on the market, which brings it back on
topic. I have never bothered finding out how they work internally, but
as they produce spin as well, they probably really "hit" the ball with
something like a racket. But this is not to say that spin couldn't be
produced by a pneumatic gun like this one here. It might be sufficient
to provide a transverse pressure gradient, although this could lead to
issues with the ball touching the barrel wall. Sounds like something
worthwhile further experimentation! (Given time...)

Kind regards,

Helmut.