[chbot] OT : smart phone shopping list

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Aug 11 23:10:11 BST 2013

On Mon 12 Aug 2013 08:35:40 NZST +1200, Mark Atherton wrote:

> Any recommendations of manufacturers, models and local suppliers ?
> Anyone / thing I should stay away from ?

Heh! I've been keeping a bit of an eye on it too, but no matter how much
money I was thinking of spending, my list of satisfactory options is so
far empty.

My main requirements would be:

  reception
  call quality
  GPS
  software upgrades / support / security fixes

Pick any two. Given the price tag of those "smart" jobs, and the fact
they're called a tele*phone*, Consumer tends to find that a <$100 dumb
job usually does a better job. Along with these signal strength
problems, plenty of manufacturers can't make the GPS work properly
either - well what's the point of the price tag if google maps doesn't
work properly.

Google's offerings are a bit better priced and have the software problem
better sorted, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy google hardware.

The advice I'd give is to prioritise the required feature list, zero in
on some models, and tick their capabilities off using Consumer,
duckduckgo and the specs.

And do let us know when you've found one why you found it particularly
good for the purpose you wanted it for.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.