[chbot] USB - RS232 modules.

william fleetwil at gmail.com
Sun May 13 02:57:56 BST 2012

old PS/2 or (particularly) USB keyboards are handy for porting old console
controls to emulators as well, i've adapted a few PS1 (digital) controls and
an N64 control using an analogue PS2 controller joystick to replace the
N64's stick using a quad comparator to decode each direction on the stick
with a trimpot for threshold, i've used optocouplers to convert the
individual button lines to the column row used by a keyboard but i think
transistors probably would have done the trick
if you want real parallel / serial ports, get an old motherboard or laptop,
setup 98 or something on it and have a screw around in VB, there's a few
dll's floating around that can talk to the parallel and serial ports, and i
think VB's comms control can work with most of the serial port lines. i've
made a few programs for some projects that never fell through for various
reasons but could twiddle the parallel port data lines and a program to
control the 8 digit LED displays from a serial port on a laptop etc