[chbot] power supplies and hexapods

Mikael Stewart mikael.stewart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 04:55:50 GMT 2012

You might cringe, but I used an old AT style PC power supply in this
video of my hexapod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeueVOlQXE

So it at least works, and in my defense, PC power supplies are designed
for resonably wide range and dynamic loading, so not likely to destroy
hobby servos. That doesn't speak for anything else that's sharing the
same rails, or within a few meters of the circuit in operation ;)

It should be relatively easy for you to do the same, provided
1. you can find an old computer power supply;
2. take care to pre-load outputs slightly in case it doesn't like very
light loads (e.g. servos idle, or turn on before connect);
3. keep control circuit power noise-isolated from servo power...In the
video I think I had a cheap 9V PP3 dry cell powering the controller;
4. take note of the grounding/earthing for if/when you connect your
computer's serial port etc.

Hope this helps!
Mikael