[chbot] Digilent ChipKit Uno32

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 05:50:08 BST 2012

Mike

I think you have taken a genuine concern and completely missed the point by
going on about the hardware the way you have.

Avoidance of vendor lock-in does not preclude the use of closed technologies.
What it precludes is wedding yourself to one particular technology, be that
one micro, one toolchain or Windows etc. in a way that prevents moving.

Where this really matters in the world of micros is that once you have wed
yourself to some variants of micros it is really hard to move to something
else if there is a silicon bug  or supply issue.

The other concern is locking in your skills. I'm getting tired of learning a
new CPU architecture for each different family of micros.

The way to avoid lock-in is to use standards etc supported by many different
vendors.

Which NOR flash should I use? I don't care, so long as it if CFI-compliant
flash so I can switch in a different flash if required.

Which hard drive should I use? Again I don't care so long as they use IDE,
SATA or whatever.

Which SD card interface? Same deal.

If I develop code I want to be able to port it to other environments.

I want to be able to use Linux.

Which micro? Well these days my view is there better be a good reason for
selecting anything other than ARM. One general architecture (yes, there are
sub-architectures) and one debugger/toolchain covers everything from
sub-dollar micros to GHz multi-cores.

Sure ARM is proprietary, but it does not limit me to any one vendor. If one
vendor does not have the parts I want, another will. Porting from one ARM
micro to another is almost trivial. That is not lock in.

Where lock in happens is when we use off-beat architectures only used by one
vendor. PIC 8-bits for instance. At least the PIC32 is MIPS based and there
are a few MIPS licensees, but none else with single-chip offerings, AFAIK.

I share the concern about the way Microchip controls their licensing. A while
ago I attended a conference where the Microchip people said that their tools
were gcc based, yet they were keeping enough under wraps to prevent the goals
of open source. Everything was tethered to the workbench. I don't know if
they have improved since then.

These concerns seem quite common:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2011/08/30/editorial-our-friend-microchip-and-open-source/

If you are part of Microchip, I would suggest that you take on this feedback
and pass it back to management. These are genuine concerns that alienate the
developer community.

Just arguing with people that have legitimate reasons to avoid your product is
pointless.