[chbot] Atmel Programmers

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 25 11:54:09 BST 2011

On Tue 25 Oct 2011 11:10:35 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

> For ARM I will often use either insight debugger or just gdb. I've not
> used Ecliipse but I know some have.

Thanks. I find eclipse rather convenient, with code completion and
navigation. The code formatter is pretty nifty too. The ARM plugin is
not though, with the current eclipse version it doesn't even get off the
ground, or more precisely create a project, so that's pretty unusable.

> I just use command line for programming avrdude. I put the commands
> right into the makefile.

After spending some time with the AVR plugin and how to work around its
bugs I realised the makefiles are easier than I thought. I have been
fluent in makefiles for a long time, though I'd still be happy to let
eclipse take care of it (limited hours in the day and such). Programming
through the plugin turned out to be pretty straightforward too, once I
figured out what to put in where. I've substantially updated
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Eclipse

> You can apparently use JTAGICE2 with Eclipse for debugging AVR.

Eclipse supports gdb debugging, so anything goes that your gdb
server can serve up. There's no special target support though - like CPU
register display or decoded peripheral register view, in either AVR or
ARM plugin. You can get it commercially, starting at about 4 digits, or
silch for the castrated hook-the-customer version I've been playing
with. Atmel does have a $0 plugin but it's only for the AVR32, I doubt
it's open source and I didn't check what JTAG adapters it supports.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.